Colonial Little Theatre is a non-profit organization whose purpose is
to promote the performing arts through opportunities for community
participation in a variety of cultural experiences in Fulton County and
the surrounding area.
The Colonial Little Theatre was founded in 1938 when a small group of
theater lovers met and decided to form an amateur stage group. Since
then, the CLT has grown to become one of the oldest community theatres
in the state of New York.
The history of the Colonial Little Theatre began with its founder,
Walter Short. A teacher at Knox Junior High School, Short was the first
president of the organization. He also directed, staged and performed in
numerous productions over the years. Since the group did not acquire a
building until the early 1960's, the earliest productions were produced
on the stage at Knox Junior High School.
Over the past 79 years, over one thousand performers have graced the
stage at the CLT, and many of them have gone on to pursue successful
professional careers in the performing arts. What began as a small
amateur community theatre group has evolved into a staple of the
community as a forum for some of the best theatre in the area.